Tuesday, July 18, 2006

The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen

I read this one at home last night. I really liked it!! Yet again, I found myself really liking Dessen's male characters. I kept thinking to myself, "Sa-woooon!!!" (It's from the book.)Actually, I loved all the characters in the book, except the mother, which I guess was supposed to be the point.
So anyways, a synopsis.
The main character, Macy, is facing a grand and boring summer. Her brainiac yet distant boyfriend is going off to "Brain Camp" and she's taking over his super fun job at the library! (truthfully, i would love to work at a library, but not the one in this book, with these girls....jeez!) She's got not one single friend to keep her busy outside of work, which only highlights the fact that she and her mother are having problems. And that she's still reeling from her father's death a year and a half before. Everything changes though, when Macy meets a catoring group, Wish. The five people working for Wish are so different from any Macy has ever met. She starts working with them and before long, her world is changing in a wonderful way...
I loved a lot of the material from this book. The crazy catorers (sounds like so much fun!), the high school age group, Wes's junk metal welded sculptures (I have a cousin who does the same thing), heck, even the thought of running was great in this book! I really want to discuss this book with someone. "Please God I'm begging you" read this book, "okay"???
-Kaati

2 comments:

Becky said...

I loved this book! I started listening to sometime last year. The batteries died on my iPod before I finished it and I had time to kill on a Sunday so I went to Barnes & Noble and finished it there.

The characters were so real to me. I loved Wes's quiet strength and the way Macy finally finds herself and gets to know herself. She stops being who her mom thinks she wants her to be and is herself.

The Wish catoring company kind of reminded me of a summer job I had while in high school and college. My friends and I worked at Jellystone Park in Warrens, WI. We had blast, at times is was chaotic while others well planed and just plain fun!

Stefi said...

Hey guys! I loved this book too. I really like books were the main character finds herself. It seems that many of Dessen's books have the theme of "Finding yourself".

I really liked Wish catoring company. I loved the way Macy just started helping and everyone was grateful for what she was doing.