Friday, July 14, 2006

i made it to the library

I made it to the library in Madisonville on Tuesday!!! YES!!!!

The library in Madisonville doesn't have it's own Young Adults section! Therefore, Kaati couldn't easily find her booklist books... NO!!!

So, I had to resort to just browsing the stacks. I came away with Unspeakable, The Witness, and The Switch all by Sandra Brown, Obsessed by Ted Decker, and my "comfort book" Polgara the Sorceress by David Eddings.

I started with Unspeakable. It must've been good cuz I stayed up until 6 in the morning reading it! I would describe it as a romantic/murder mystery (my favorite genre!). A widowed young mother, Anna Corbett, is trying to keep the family farm away from industrial developers. Jack, a mysterious drifter, shows up at the farm and volunteers himself for the job of a much-needed farmhand. And Carl Herbold, a murderer who just escaped from prison, is headed towards the Corbett farm to have his revenge against Anna's father-in-law. The twist is, Anna was born deaf and is rather unsafe alone in her own house. Jack (a supposed stranger) takes it upon himself to be Anna's protecter. I really liked that this book dealt with a deaf woman. It was educational! It showed me that deaf people process their thoughts differently than hearing people. It wasn't a quick read, but it held my attention the entire night!!

Ten o'clock on Wednesday night and I started The Witness. Again, I did not go to bed until after the sunrise (it's summer, I can keep bad hours if I want!). This was another romantic/murder mystery, like all the Sandra Brown books I read. This one's really hard to explain... Kendall is on the run with her three month old baby and her "husband"(who conviently got amnesia during a car crash in the beginning of the book). You immediately know that she's not married to the man, but you have no clue who he is. Further into the story, you're introduced to the horrific part of human society; a "Brotherhood" much worse than the Klu Klux Klan. This book had so many questions and twists that I just couldn't put it down!!

I also started The Switch last night, but I'm not far enough into it to describe any of it. I hope it's good! The other book I got, Obsessed, is not one that I'll be reading in the middle of the night... the inside cover made it seem really scary... Stephan Friedman is an ordinary man. Until he inheirits a "clue" and an incredible fortune from the grave of a Holocaust survivor. "... a clue that only he and one other man can possibly understand. That man is Roth Braun, a serial killer who has been waiting for Stephan for thirty years. Roth was stopped once before. This time nothing will get in his way." And of course, I probably won't read Polgara straight through... as my "comfort book", I just read through all my favorite parts.... :-)

My mom and I have made plans to spend tomorrow or Sunday at the Barnes and Noble in Evansville, so hopefully I'll be able to get another discussion book to read!!

Well, I best be going!!
Later,
Kaati

2 comments:

*kaati* said...

my favorite Polgara quote...

"A word of advice to my family here. If anyone among you ever calls me "Polly," you'll all get boiled hay for supper every night for a week."

*kaati* said...

'nother Polgara quote, this one amazes me...

"I enjoy singing and I began in a clear, girlish soprano. When we reached the second verse, however, I added harmony in a contralto voice. Singing in two voices at the same time is rather pleasant, but my audience wasn't really ready for it. There were assorted gasps and a lot of wide-eyed looks, and, more important, an absolute silence.
"In the third verse I added a soaring coloratura that reached high above the soprano and modified the contralto harmony to accomodate the third verse.
"Then, in the fourth verse, just to nail my point home, I divided my three voices and sang in counterpoint, not only musically but also linguistically. It was rather like a round, when each singer repeats her predecessor's first phrase a measure or so later to provide a complex harmony. I sang in three different voices, and each of those voices sang different words.
"There were some very wild-eyed looks out there when I concluded my song."