Friday, February 16, 2007

Boy Meets Boy



I just finished (actually I finished this a couple weeks ago and forgot to finish my post until this morning) Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan. At first it annoyed me that the city was so nice. Everyone seemed to accept everyone. There didn't seem to be conflict in the normal sense of things. However, after finishing it and thinking it through, I think that is the point. Levithan gives us a picture of how life in an accepting community looks. Initially I think I was irritated that Boy Meets Boy was unrealistic, but I think I was more irritated that our school doesn't necessarily live up to the school environment that Paul's does. I don't know that any school can live up to the example set in Boy Meets Boy, but I think it would be wonderful if it could. The community accepts people as they are and doesn't try to change them to fit molds of our society.

No comments: