Friday, April 25, 2008

Literary Controversy: The Twilight Movie -- good or bad?

As we hit the end of the school year, one interesting question dominates most of our readers:

Just how bad - or good - will the Twilight m0vie adaptation be?

Thus far, the controversy rages, in part because Twilight is a fan phenomenon that has missed a large part of the mainstream even yet. That is to say, the big fans are already nitpicking 'getting it right', when those who've never heard of it are so far behind that they don't even know there is something to get wrong. Witness articles like this, after all.

There's a lot of casting controversy; now that some of the 'that's not my Bella and Edward!' has died down, the latest source of scream is 'that's not my Jacob Black!', as Taylor Lautner (Shark Boy from Shark Boy and Lava Girl, natch) has been cast as Jacob. Personally, I can't get over Peter Facinelli as Carlisle Cullen -- I keep thinking, 'The guy from Fastlane, that failed series on Fox, is the family patriarch? Really?'. But I'm old.

So weigh in: how bad is it gonna get?

3 comments:

Haley said...

I am keeping an open mind, but am a little nervous. I understand that the movie is based on the book and not an exact retelling of the book, some of the things that i have seen have made me question if they are going to ruin the book. I hope that it will be wonderful and i will not pass judgement because i am sure that they cast the actors because they are wonderful portraying the characters, are they the characters we imagine, not neccessarily, but anyway i look forward to next December.

Haley said...

One more thing to add i am not very happy with their casting of jacob. I can live with the others the heights of Alice and Jasper bother me but i am over it, I just cant picture the shark boy kid whatever his name is as jacob. he just doesnt fit the image that i had for jacob.

Haley said...

no one has anything else to say that is just depressing. I hope that we can go see the movie maybe as a group when it comes out.