Tuesday, October 10, 2006

I Am The Messenger -- Quotes

On topic...
For those of you who like quotes...this is one of my favorites from I Am The Messenger

Still, when she stands up, Angie Carusso thanks me. She asks my name, but I tell her it isn't important.
"No," she protests, "it is."
I relent. "It's Ed."
"Well, thanks, Ed," she says. "Thank you."
She thanks me a few times more, but the best words I hear all day come to me right when I think it's over. It's the girl, Casey. She twists herself onto Angie's hand and says, "Next week I'll give you a bite of mine, Mum."
In a way, I feel sad and empty, but I also feel that I've done what was intended. Just once, an ice cream for Angie Carusso.


This is such a great reminder to all of us that it is the little things. We don't need to make a big gesture to make a big impact. I think that if society just thought about what it was doing before it acted sometimes we would have a lot more of these moments. I hope that this book makes me or reminds me to think or change the way I might treat a person or do something that might not be that big of a deal to me, but might really affect that person. This theme is also apparent in the book/movie The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom.

2 comments:

*kaati* said...

i love this quote!

Lua and Marie are holding hands.
They look like they're so happy, just inside this moment, watching the kids and the lights on their old fibro house.
Lua kisses her.
Just softly on the lips.
And she kisses back.
Sometimes people are beautiful.
Not in looks.
Not in what they say.
Just in what they are.

:]

*kaati* said...

The clues must be in the books, so now I shove the other ones to the side and focus on the three finalists. I feel kind of sorry for the ditched ones, to be honest. They look like the losers of a dramatic, tumultuous race, sitting on the floor. If they were people, they'd each have their head in their hands.

only Ed would add personification to books... ;]