Monday, February 06, 2006

Just Finished...Currently Reading...Looking Forward

I just finished...
Stained by Jennifer Richard Jacobson, In Weaver Falls, New Hampshire, in 1975, seventeen-year-old Jocelyn looks for answers when her lifelong neighbor and friend, Gabe, turns up missing and she learns that, while her boyfriend has been telling everything to a priest, Gabe has been keeping terrible secrets. I enjoyed this one alot and it was a really quick read. I would highly recommend it.

Light Years by Tammar Stein, Maya Laor leaves her home in Israel to study astronomy at the University of Virginia after the tragic death of her boyfriend in a suicide bombing. I thought this novel was very good. I really felt Maya's fear and my hear went out to her. This was Stein's first novel and I look forward to reading what she writes in the future.

Currently Reading...
Fallen Angels by Walter Dean Myers (Audio), Seventeen-year-old Richie Perry, just out of his Harlem high school, enlists in the Army in the summer of 1967 and spends a devastating year on active duty in Vietnam. I have been meaning to read this one since I was in 6th grade and all the cool boys were reading it and liking it. It really makes you think about war and how it really is. I would be curious as to whether or not Myers faught in Vietnam or who he based his characters on if anyone.

Sexy by Joyce Carol Oates, Sixteen-year-old Darren Flynn, a popular, good-looking high school athlete who lacks self-confidence, learns that his jock friends are hatching a revenge act against their English teacher for failing a member of the swim team. I just started this one and don't have an opinion about it yet. The chapters are really short which to me makes the novel a little chopped up.

Looking Forward To...
Night by Elie Wiesel, This month's Oprah Book Club pick. A true account of the author's experiences as a Jewish boy with his family in a Nazi concentration camp.

What have you all been reading lately?

No comments: